OMG! Decadent Donuts are certified by Vegan Australia and proudly so. Further, there are no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives in these donuts. Being a vegan product there are obviously no eggs or dairy in the donuts, but they are also free from gluten, wheat, yeast, nuts and sulphites which is great news for those with food allergies and intolerances.
Plant-based eating has definitely become more popular in Australia over the past few years. In fact, it’s been reported that the number of Australians who identify as vegan has tripled since 2016! This may be due to a number of factors, such as concerns about animal welfare, environmental issues, and health benefits associated with a plant-based diet.
There are many benefits of this type of eating regimen, including the following:
Plant-based foods provide more nutrients, such as fibre, vitamins and minerals, protein and healthy fats. Plant-based foods contain high-quality protein and are naturally abundant in many vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, potassium, folate, and iron. By consuming a diet full of nutrient-dense plant-based foods, the body gets all the crucial nutrients needed to maintain optimal health.
Reduced risk of chronic diseases
A diet rich in plant-based foods can help not only lower cholesterol, but also reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease, stroke, and certain types of cancers. Studies also have shown that a vegan diet can help prevent or manage diabetes.
Plant-based foods are high in fibre which supports healthy digestion and decreases the risk of constipation and certain digestive disorders.
Better for the environment
Animal agriculture is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, water pollution, deforestation, and other environmental problems. Eating a plant-based diet has a lower carbon footprint and puts less stress on the environment than a meat-based diet.
Improved animal welfare
Consuming animal products support practices to raise them in factory farms and other inhumane conditions. Opting for a plant-based lifestyle helps to reduce the environmental impact of animal agriculture, as well as put an end to animal exploitation and suffering.
Today, plant-based eating is becoming more common across the globe. In fact, many dietary guidelines recommend a plant-based diet or a diet with more plant-based foods. Here are some examples:
- Australia: The Australian Dietary Guidelines recommend eating more plant-based foods while consuming less meat and animal products.
- United Kingdom: The Eatwell Guide issued by the British government recommends a healthy and balanced diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, starchy carbohydrates, and protein, about a third of which should come from plant-based sources.
- India: Indian cuisine relies heavily on plant-based ingredients such as grains, vegetables, and legumes, and has long been associated with vegetarianism and veganism.
- Japan: The traditional Japanese diet is heavily focused on plant-based foods, including rice, vegetables, fermented foods, and soy products.
- United States: The U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend a diet that is higher in plant-based foods, as well as lower in saturated fats, added sugars, and refined grains.
In recent years, surveys conducted globally indicate that more and more individuals are adopting a plant-based lifestyle or consciously seeking to reduce their intake of animal-based products.
In conclusion, plant-based eating is a healthier, more sustainable, and more compassionate way of eating that offers many benefits for both individuals and the planet. As it continues to grow in popularity and awareness, more people are discovering foods that support their individual health needs and align with their personal values.
Here at OMG! Decadent Donuts we don’t pretend we’re a health food – we are an inclusive treat, a comfort food, something fun to be enjoyed and shared. But we are 100% plant-based and accredited by Coeliac Australia and certified by Vegan Australia.